I’ve read three amazing blogs about the inauguration today.
This is not going to be one of them:)
If you want to read some really good and profound thoughts about Obama, God, and our nation, read todays posts from Donald Miller, Rachel Held Evans, and Matt Coulter. I will put the links to them at the end of my more shallow thoughts.
This will also not be as long as yesterday so breathe easy.
1) I don’t know how anyone could not be inspired by Barack Obama speaking. He’s good.
2) It was really cool to see all those people there supporting our president. After driving by an insanely offensive, crudely hand-drawn yard sign yesterday where Obama was dropping trou and giving America the finger, it was nice to be reminded that the majority of Americans voted for this man and that not everyone is in despair over what will happen in the next four years. It is also kind of validating (and shallow, I know) to feel like “your team” won. Trust me, I know–the Ravens are also in the Super Bowl so this is a good year for me (Sorry Matt Coulter, it’s been a rough few months for you I know!). I know, I know…ultimately it doesn’t matter but I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t care and it didn’t feel good to be on the “winning” side. Now you know, I’m ridiculous. Sorry to burst your bubble.
3) By the same token, I am looking forward to the impending Apocalypse brought on by the Anti-Christ’s election. I was quite disappointed in the Mayan version…maybe this one will be more successful.
4) Beyonce sung the heck out of the National Anthem. Someone tweeted that her performance was “Surprisingly Understated”. Did you really think she was going to show up in a glittery catsuit surrounded by backup dancers and make get all bootylicious on your inaugural behind?
5) Again, that being said–it is a very strange world we live in where Jigga-H.O.V.A-Shawn-Carter-Jay-Z has a seat of honor at the Presidential Inauguration. Don’t get me wrong–I love me some Jay-Z. He’s one of my favorites to run to, especially. But it seems kind of weird that the guy behind “Big Pimpin'” is sitting up there on the dais with the worlds biggest leaders.
6) Sometimes I feel like I must be on a different planet from most conservatives. Our religious freedoms are being taken from us? It’s a war on Christianity? Wait—wasn’t there just a CHRISTIAN GUY saying a CHRISTIAN PRAYER at the swearing in of our country’s leader? How is that a war on Christianity? I for one take Obama at his word when he says he is a Christian. And as Christian myself I appreciate that. But that’s beside the point. You’re telling me its ok to alienate Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists…but God forbid we alienate Christians? I’m sorry but you lost me there.
And that’s all for today folks. For more poignant and well-written thoughts check out these posts: